Tuesday 4 December 2018

Les Trois Mousquetaires drops Déjeuner Impérial 2.0 and it's still Bangin'!

Sometime around designated imperial stout season I always seem to emerge from blog-hibernation when an epic imperial stout hits my palate.

And, just today, Les Trois Mousquetaires dropped the second version of their stellar Déjeuner Impérial, a bourbon-barrel aged imperial stout with coffee and maple staves.  Version one came in 375ml bottles and was brewery only, at 1 bottle per person (if memory serves) and launched at last year's Double IPA Day.

This time, however, it comes in a 750 (because nothing says winter like an 11.5% 750) and drops at 2pp at the brewery with store drops pending.

This delightful brew pours a black base with a medium tan head. The head is audible and dissipates quickly portending a sharper carbonation than I usually appreciate in the style.

Aromatically, I am enticed by maple coffee, with traces of wet wood and bourbon vanilla underneath.

In the mouth, all of the different aspects get their moment to shine. It starts with a sweet maple forward introduction before transitioning, first, to a warming bourbon heat and finishing with a drier coffee bitterness (when the warmth transitions from tongue to chest). Though sweet overall, this beer brings a balance of flavours that provide a complementarity rarely rivaled.

As expected, it is a bit more boldly carbonated than I usually appreciate, yet something about that works extremely well here. Though the sharp carbonation lifts the weight some giving a more apparent thinness, it also seems to work with the bourbon heat making for a lively mouthfeel that seems to help round out the noted flavour balance.

Wait, the 11.5% must have gotten to me, what am I saying?! I mean... uh... you won't like this. Send me your allocation for proper disposal. I promise it will be adequately handled.


Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment