Wednesday 1 February 2012

My Ride is Slow: Doublewide IPA for Beer #416

As I dwell in the 416 area (Toronto), I drink rated beer number 416 while I await my slow ride and comment quickly for my second post of the day.

Since my technical installation of non-linux software on a linux system has been so slow (amidst mostly half-pints), and while I began with a 48 IBU beer, my options were negligible towards the end.  Furthermore, having previously tasted 23 of the 24 beers on tap, I decided to try the Beau's Doublewide IPA even though I don't usually enjoy excessively hopped IPAs.

Yet, I was pleasantly surprised!  This solid offering pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a medium white head with light retention and a slight lace.  Aroma-wise, the hops is hidden beneath a malty, bready, herbal, caramel sweetness, but don't let that deceive you: this is a double IPA without a doubt.  The taste starts a bit sweeter on the piney-citrus front, but ends with a strongly puckering dryness.  It is 'hoppy-as-hell,' but somehow bittersweet despite an excessively dry lingering finish.  The middle of the taste sensations is actually fairly sweet - indicating a fair maltiness - even though this beer is very far from balanced.  It has a fairly thin body for the style with only a slight carbonation and though the alcohol is well masked in taste, I can certainly feel it!  This is probably one of my favorite IPAs despite its extremely bitter nature!  Grade: B+


This is a very nice beer, and my favourite Beau's offering so far, but it is surely not for the faint of heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment