Thursday 19 January 2012

Southern Ontario Beer News & Upcoming Events Roundup

Apparently, the LCBO will soon be stocking a handful of beers from Halifax's Garrison Brewing, including their Black IPA, Grand Baltic Porter, Winter Warmer, Pilsner, and Spruce Beer.  Though I have had none of these seasonal releases of Garrison's, I have had a few of their fine beers and this is certainly a solid craft brewery and I intend to try each of these offerings while they are available in Ontario.  I shall report back!

On the events front, three have caught my attention, but others will no doubt arise:

The first is The Only Cafe's Beer Fest slated for February 3rd and 4th, which will include sampling booths for at least 14 Ontario craft breweries, plus guided tastings, live music, and a meet and greet with Taps Magazine folks.  Oh, and British Columbia's Central City Brewing, and Quebec's highly praised Dieu du Ciel (!!!), and Microbrasserie Charlevoix (brewers of the esteemed Dominus Vobiscum Abbay ales!!) will be represented as well by Keep6Imports!  I just might have to attend both days... and not leave!  Fortunately, The Only has a backpacker's inn so I won't have to leave!  I promise to report back, but don't expect detailed notes - especially if Peche Mortel (at 9.5%) shows up in nitro taps!

Second, is Great Lakes Brewery's Project X, a regular event held the second Thursday of every month (at 9pm I believe?) that always offers a one-off cask/real ale alongside samplings of numerous other beers and paired food.  Each event costs $10 and requires a $10 membership (that comes with a T-Shirt).

Finally, if you just can't wait to try the new Innis & Gunn Irish Whisky Cask Stout (or have an overwhelming desire to drink I&G paired with haggis), The Monk's Table is hosting a reservation-only Innis & Gunn/Haggis paired dinner tasting on January 24th.  I probably won't be making this one, but would love to hear your thoughts!

If you know of more interesting craft beer events in the Southern Ontario area, feel free to share them in the comments.  I will report back on any of these I get to...

No comments:

Post a Comment